View Single Post
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 22:32   #9
Berkshirebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by al dm View Post
The only thing that I don't like about flash tunes is they are kind of one size fits all. However the ECU has some degree of freedom anyway, so it can adjust for most conditions.

The best way is of course to put the vehicle on a dyno and tune it individually.

My latest Harley Davidson motorcycle that I have been working on gained at least 10MPG more on motorway use, plus a cr*pload of HP and TQ by being dyno tuned by someone who really know those engines.

So power+ plus MPG+ is possible - but you can't really have both at once depending on you heavy your foot or wrist is.

But that's fine with me!
Hmm.. ‘custom tunes’ ‘must be setup on a Dyno’..

In a previous life - ex Thunderbike endurance racer for 12 years, Californian Superbike School Instructor and all that.

On a road bike (an R1) I put a Power Commander on it and found a file online that near enough matched all the go-faster parts I had fitted. Rode fine for a summer then took it to A dyno with my ZX10 racebike.

After the ‘custom dyno’ tune it gained 4hp in the midrange and nothing anywhere else. Perfectly fine for a road bike. I think generic are fine for a diesel estate car..

Spent many thousands extracting minimal power gains on the ZX10 though!