View Single Post
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 19:52   #15
rxtian

Hi everyone.

Curiosity got the better of me and I ripped the headlights out as soon as I got home

Very easy job - would have been even easier if I had done it when I had the projectors out to swap! Only bit that required any thought was how to get the lens out of the Volvo projector after releasing the tabs, it is still stuck between the reflector and its mount. I decided deforming its mount by pressing down on the top until it was oval enough for the lens to fit through was quickest, easiest, and most reverse-able. Conveniently the retrofit projectors have screws so you can separate the lens mount easily.

I do have different lenses to Lizard, mine are 90% clear with little squares (retrofit clear on the left, Volvo on the right - before cleaning):

I took some pictures before and after on the wall (sorry about the posters in the way!)

Here's the clear retrofit lens:

Here's the Volvo lens:

That little splash of light on the edge of the poster looks encouraging!

I did the second light and went for a test drive, here are a couple of comparison frames:

Notice how the light is higher on the verge? That's the Volvo lens.

Again, the frame with the lifted edges is the Volvo lens.

It's a hard effect to catch on camera, but it is much easier to drive with the Volvo lenses. They give a wider beam, the diffused cut off gives you additional visibility/less eye strain, and the "eyebrow" throws up a little bit of light (seen on the poster) which catches reflective surfaces at a greater distance. The feeling of driving from a floodlit area into pitch black is gone - still with greatly improved beam compared to the faded Volvo reflectors.

If you're going to replace the reflectors, stay with halogen, and you have the lenses with squares, I 100% recommend moving the Volvo lenses across.

I'm well happy!
rxtian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rxtian For This Useful Post: