View Single Post
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 00:47   #3
JoshTB94

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
Most (if not all) of these D5 engines have died when a pulley on the serpentine belt seized, the belt wrapped around the crank pulley, the cambelt jumped teeth and the engine was busted. It's almost a classic scenario.

If it's a noisy pulley it needs adressed urgently. Usually we remove the serpentine belt and inspect every pulley by hand (all of them). The a/c pulley may require just a bearing, the alternator pulley may need a replacement alternator (used is cheaper), don't use any cheap brands for replacements.

Good to have the timing belt and water pump inspected as well, if the owner put cheap parts, it can fail well before the next replacement interval

Also inspect the engine mounts
I dont have to much knowledge when it comes to belts, if for example its a aux belt pulley i cant seem to find where to buy them? I know timing belt kits come with them but i cant seem to find aix belt pulleys, or are the pulleys from timing belt kits for example also the ones for the aux belt? Sorry unfortunately i dont have to much knowledge lol i could take it to a garage but i dont want them to try and swindle me so i was hoping someone could tell by the sound what it is so i could buy the part and just take it to a garage. Ill be buying a new water pump too but are they known for that sort of noise when wearing away? Although i know little im sure its not the engine mounts, but what do i kno lol thanks for the input, appreciated.
JoshTB94 is offline   Reply With Quote