Thread: D5 Cambelt
View Single Post
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 19:59   #4
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
The trouble with the D5 seems to be that it is not the belt but the idler/tensioner, and much more likely the aux belt that goes so I would have no confidence in just having the belt done, get it all done. I did mine at 80k and the belt showed no wear.

I will say you must be simply insane to take this to a Volvo dealer. It is one of the simplest belt changes you could do. T60 Torx has the aux belt off (the cover has 2 bolts) that’s an easy 15 minutes.

Off with the front wheel and the wheel arch liner moves to the side, 15 minutes.

Advance the crank round and align the cam, there are marks on both from the factory, 15 minutes.

The idler and tensioner are a bolt, 1 each with 25Nm, 15 minutes. The idler/tensioner for the aux belt is pulled up with 60torx and an Allen key held pushed in to hold. 15 mins.

You could buy cam belt, aux belt, idler and tensioner from a volvo dealer for £200 quid and a garage could fit in 2 hours with a tea break. That’s 350 quid max.

I would have a trusted independent do that. Unless you have a impact wrench and a trolley jack in which case I would do it myself.

900 quid. My goodness, don’t pay that!!!
P.s I did do mine myself, aux belt, cam belt, aux idler and tensioner and cam belt idler and tensioner. Water pump and coolant change. It was about 300 all in and 4 or 5 hours. I have no mechanical qualifications.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post: