View Single Post
Old May 8th, 2019, 14:43   #7
theboymike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixer View Post
Most likely is the magnets came off the spindle in the throttle body. My son had a gdi Volvo and this happened to his. It needs a new one or you could strip it out and check it clean all the old glue/resin off both magnet and spindle and marry them together with a powerful adhesive/resin but it needs to be strong. Be very careful of the magnets they are very strong if you let go of them and they hit the spindle they could shatter. Hope this helps 👍
Thanks - looks like you've hit the nail on the head in every respect. Pulled the TB off, spent hours stripping and cleaning it; put it back together and it was still binding. Saw witness marks on the magnet and with some persuasion managed to move it with respect to the rest of the spindle assy. Took it off and did exactly what you warned against - shattering the magnet into a thousand pieces

The really galling thing is that I'd possibly have got away with filing a bit off the magnet to get clearance with the housing and throwing it back together. Looks like I'm on the lookout for a new throttle body assembly

Thanks again for your help though!

Last edited by theboymike; May 8th, 2019 at 14:50.
theboymike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theboymike For This Useful Post: