View Single Post
Old Aug 7th, 2019, 12:12   #135
haymitch

I've had a few interesting symptoms recently that lead me to believe that cleaning the IACV was unsuccessful and my problems are down to a faulty IACV.

The car still has issues when running hot, but the symptoms are slightly different. When started the idle is going up to around 1200 rpm then shifting down to around 600 rpm before evening out at 800 rpm and then being fine in park / neutral. Holding the accelerator down will help it along the way to evening out. Weirdly enough idle from cold has improved. The problem is worse when the car has been left to cool down for about an hour or has been driven the previous day.

I noticed at a junction that if I switch the transmission to drive or reverse then the idle drops down to around 550 - 600 rpm and then only returns to 800 rpm if I select neutral of park. It will start struggle at the lower rpms but not stall. This seems to match symptoms of faulty IACVs I've seen online.

I've also noticed some hesitancy when accelerating from roundabouts. This has been intermittent. I doesn't always happen, but when it does it happens for the entire journey.

Strangely, when I've unplugged entirely the car has started with rpm even lower around 500 rpm, but I've wondering if I have a lazy IACI've had a few interesting symptoms recently that lead me to believe that cleaning the IAC was unsuccessful and my problems are down to a faulty IAC.

The car still has issues when running hot, but the symptoms are slightly different. When started the idle is going up to around 1200 rpm then shifting down to around 600 rpm before evening out at 800 rpm and then being fine in park / neutral. Holding the accelerator down will help it along the way to evening out.

I noticed at a junction that if I switch the transmission to drive or reverse then the idle drops down to around 550 - 600 rpm and then only returns to 800 rpm if I select neutral of park. It will start struggle at the lower rpms but not stall. This seems to match symptoms of the IAC I've seen online.

I've also noticed some hesitancy when accelerating from roundabouts. This has been intermittent. I doesn't always happen, but when it does it happens for the entire journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That is a very likely scenario! It could even be the fault.

Meanwhile with the things we can check easily enough, do you have qa hill you can reverse up reasonably safely without some numpty come screaming down it at 90mph while you're trying to reverse?

If so, get the engine warm and if thee's a flat lead up to the hill, start there.

Engine idling, take a note of the rpm in "N" or "P", now select "R" and note what it drops to. Let go of the footbrake and let the car start to creep backwards up the hill. As the extra load of the hill goes on, the revs should start to drop a little but the AICV should compensate and keep the revs more or less as they were when you first engaged reverse.

Don't touch the throttle thourghout any of this.

Take notes of the minimum the rpm drops to while reversing and also the minimum steady reading.

Sounds kind of weird but will be an enormous help in pinpointing what i think it might be.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Are there any other tests I can do confirm that it is the IACV that is the problem. I've tried plugging and unplugging it and the resistance of it was 8.6 ohms which was okay. An IACV via Skandix looks expensive but I've found a supplier that I can collect from locally.

https://www.gsfcarparts.com/185pc013...ABEgI8YPD_BwE#

I'm starting to add the fuel injector cleaner this week but thought I should mention these symptoms.

Last edited by haymitch; Aug 7th, 2019 at 12:17.
haymitch is offline   Reply With Quote