View Single Post
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 11:34   #53
dme123
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
LOL, how is it different than "black market" map? Software is a software, whether modified by Polestar or not. Why should it be "more reliable" than reputable tuner with years of experience and succesful history of modding? Hilton, Shark, Rica, whatever - ultimately they provide the same that Polestar map would do, minus badge and frew hundres euros.
Sorry, but the way you say "Polestar map wont blow your engine but other maps will do" seem a bit misleading to others.

Polestar have the benefit of access to all of the design specs of every part of the engine; do you think Rica or Shark know, care about, or even have the means to calculate the turbine speed of the turbo to avoid overspeeding it?

Polestar also have access to OEM level calibration tools and testing environments, rather than "drive a couple of thousand miles and if it doesn't go bang then it's fine" testing that aftermarket tuners have to rely on. I am sure none of them even have an engine dyno, much less proper CFD simulation software to have the first idea what's really going on in the combustion chamber. Do they have the software to accurately calculate torque spikes and the means to then measure them so they know that they are not doing long term damage to the DMF and gearbox?

I'm afraid that if you think the work of aftermarket tuners can even come comes close to the quality of an OEM or in house tuner (Polestar) calibration then you do not have the first idea what is involved in modern powertrain calibration.

So yes the Polestar maps are more expensive, and with a lower power output, but given my experience of "reputable" tuners it's the only option I'd consider now.
2003 C70 T5 GT Manual
dme123 is offline   Reply With Quote