Thread: Caravan earth
View Single Post
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 22:26   #7
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I don't disagree - small portable generators are all invariably two 110v generators that are switched in parallel for 110v operation and then series in anti-phase for 220v operation with neutral (and therefore earth) coming from the centre tap. This sort of power supply is also common on farms and rural buildings where a 2-phase 120v transformer will be fed from 1 phase of the grid to give 240v with neutral and earth from the centre tap (aka split phase) but in this case a TN-C or TN-C-S earth would be provided which could be supplemented with TT earthing.

I think we're saying the same thing aren't we?
Not really! Most generators I have tinkered with don't have a centre tap, that's the point.
They simply provide a floating supply with no earth reference, that's why I mentioned being careful with an installation that uses an RCD for shock protection, they don't normally work on floating supplies like small generators or invertors.
This catches people out because they test the RCD with a mains hook up and the RCD works, many don't realise it's not going to work on the invertor!
The type of sine wave on the invertor doesn't effect the floating supply output, it's still a floating (or two phases as I describe it because I think that's a clearer way to describe it) supply.
If you want an invertor with RCD protection its going to be easier to buy one with a built in RCD and an earth connection which will be already internally connected between neutral and earth like a centre tapped and earthed generator can be.
It really is a can of worms.

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote