View Single Post
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 09:56   #45
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrathOfKain View Post
TBH I always thought it was standard practise to change both out on any vehicle. Didnt occur to me about the OEM Vs Pattern .... but given the labour involved i think most would get both done at the same time ?
I would agree that this is correct with many vehicles however the Volvo water pumps have an enviable reputation for reliability so the general concensus is that when doing a cambelt change, check the waterpump for play and wear. If none is present and it is a genuine Volvo pump, then it's ok to leave the pump alone.

We are definitely not talking about saving money here, simply preventing a perfectly good high quality part being exchanged for an inferior new one. This is a good price for a Genuine Pump. Cheaper alternatives are available but I wouldn't fit one .https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/190660671522

If you want to change the pump at the same time that's fine, just don't fit a cheap aftermarket one as it could well fail before the old Volvo pump ever did and it will almost certainly take out the cambelt at the same time.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Oct 5th, 2019 at 09:59.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post: