View Single Post
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 23:52   #1
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Default 7/940 hazard warning switch cap/lens

As i'm subscribed to a couple of "Breaking 940" threads at the moment, i keep seeing requests for the hazard warning switch caps/lenses for the 7/940 models. Did a bit of digging and found this for $4.50 :

https://www.swedishcarparts.com/part...over-hazardcap

Yes it's in the USA so the price is in $ but must be about £4 + S&H (that's USA speak for P&P for anyone who's not heard the term before) so if i can't find a UK supplier that sells them (haven't so far but i'll keep looking) at least those of you that want/need one now know where to get one.

Regarding Import VAT, the usual rules are anything under £15 invoice value (exc S&H, P&P etc - just the parts) isn't subject to Import VAT at 20%, anything over £15 (assuming it doesn't slip through the HMRC net designed to catch people buying parts from abroad) is subject to Import VAT @ 20% and they usually send you a card with a reference number on for you to pay online before they release it to thr Royal Mail.

What they don't tell you is that RM charge £8 for the service of collecting the Import VAT!

With this item being $4.50 (about £4 i think), Import VAT shouldn't come into the equation, it's how much they charge to pop it in a Jiffy bag and send it here that will push the price up.

With the part being so cheap, it might make sense to buy 2 or 3 of them (keep the price under $15 and you're fairly sure it won't go above £15 even with currency fluctuations) so you have one or two spares after fixing your existing one.

A note about currency fluctuations - with the invoice price being in $, on the day HMRC check the price on the invoice, if the £ has weakened and the price on the day you bought something was £14, it's entirely possible (i've had it happen) that suddenly it will be above £15 due to a weak £ so you may get charged Import VAT unexpectedly.

For just 1 or 2 of these, highly unlikely that will happen - buy 3 and it might.

Still worth a punt IMHO though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote