View Single Post
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 11:10   #8
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Surely the Volvo charging system aims to charge the battery to only 85%? Or was this app set up to show 100% when the battery is charged to that Volvo maximum?

I'm not getting this obsession that some Volvo drivers have with their battery! I'd prefer an app that would tell me when my EGR cooler was becoming blocked...
Most car charging systems are designed to run the vehicle and have enough residual capacity that they can charge the car battery to 100% in normal use.

I have had experiences about 20 years ago where that was not the case, and on a cold, wet, day with wipers, lights, demister, heater: pretty much everything; the car couldn't produce enough charge to charge the battery. I needed a jump start after a 30 minute drive!

Volvo charges at 14.40V normally, although the voltage is increased when it is cold. Yesterday, the battery was charging at 14.50V

I have a real practical reason to monitor and know my battery charge:
My car is rarely used during the week, and sometimes sits for weeks without being used. Battery state of charge can drop easily 20% over two weeks.

With the newer XC90, some people have experienced flat batteries after 4 weeks on non-use. Having the app really helps in these cases.

Especially in Winter, I need to know that my battery has a good state of charge as I run the parking heater often. When I am away, the car will be outside in subzero temperatures, covered in snow. That's when you need a healthy battery.
The parking heater runs for may 60 minutes, but needs the same engine running time after to compensate for the battery drain.

The app estimates the State of Charge based on the size of the battery (which you tell it), and the time charging, the time resting, the battery terminal voltage, and temperature. Whilst never as accurate as reading the electrolyte specific gravity, it's pretty good.

Also, I'm a tech gux. I like tech. Each to their own
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post: