View Single Post
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 12:51   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post
Any idea what is causing this? A duff cap or a blocked evap system?
Yes, one of those!

You should have some charcoal canisters under the bonnet Phil, they store the fuel vapour and release it into the engine under ECU control. Worth testing the solenoid valves that do the control and also the hoses to/from the canisters.

However, the most likely cause is a duff fuel cap. I assume it's the original cap? If so, have a look on it and see if the words "Ohne Luftung" are printed on it anywhere (usually on the inside face) and if so, the cap isn't your problem. Those words are German for "without ventilation".

If that is the case, you need to check the routing of all the pipework for the charcoal vapour system to ensure the one that allows air back into the tank after the vapour has been purged isn't kinked, blocked or whatever.

I'm not too familiar with the system used on the 940s, just the basics of how they work so it'll be a bit of a suck it and see exercise but i'm sure you'll find it if you're methodical.

Volvo still sell fuel caps, only in black nowand if memory serves, they're about £23 and you can get aftermarket ones for about half that. However the aftermarket ones are carp.

Good luck with it, let us know what you find!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote