View Single Post
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 20:02   #8
lixah
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremcalpine View Post
Honestly given the vintage of our vehicles I would (and have!) just get one from the local wreckyard and slam it on. It is 90% likely to work just fine and if it doesn't spend the 10-20 quid to get another. They are easy enough to test and you could probably even test it in the yard before checking out!
so, bit of an update. I originally hoped/planned to do just that, i found a decent looking caliper for 17£ delivered.

however upon arrived I think i was perhaps a little too eager, i over tightened the hose, and stripped the threads

so, as i didn't want to take any chances with something as important as brakes, and given that the parts turned out to be much cheaper than I had planned, I replaced with all new parts, the caliper i found cheap from a brake refurbishing company on ebay "new old stock" for 21£ delivered.

the brake hose was a little more difficult to source locally, but i managed to get one for about £10.

getting the original hose undone from the line was a bit tricky, but a couple of days soaking with WD40, and a flare spanner. it was undone.

the threads on here a big help, reading people's experiences and advice

so all new parts on today, bled the caliper, and seems all good. i will keep monitoring my brake fluid level, to ensure i have not created a leak somewhere, but im pretty happy for now

stripped threads on original parts

lixah is offline   Reply With Quote