Thread: 7/9 Values
View Single Post
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 18:18   #8
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by haymitch View Post
To be honest, I think the main reason that good cars are (slowly) becoming more expensive is that old Volvo 700/900 series are getting rarer and many examples are run into the ground by people who just don't care. Also, it's still more profitable to break a car rather than sell it which must be taking a lot of perfectly repairable cars off the road and out of the hands of enthusiasts (not that I blame people for doing this). I bet there are loads still going to the scrappy as well with some owners just seeing them as a junk car.
Agreed, 'haymitch'. In our case, the decision was made by simple economics outweighing sentiment.

We ran our last 745, an '87 GLE for 18 years from 1998 to 2016. It was a great car, but when, at 29 years old, it failed it's MOT on extensive underside corrosion, it was time to make a difficult decision. Although it lived outside and was very much a working car, it wasn't that we didn't care about it, we did - very much.

We were quoted a minimum of £400 welding to get it through it's MOT, with the distinct possibility of yet more being required in future. Faced with that, we took the difficult decision to replace the car. The car lives on in a way, having been bought by a forum member for spares, and I am now driving an early V70 for which I only paid £550 3.5 years ago. As I say; simple economics.

I'd venture to suggest that there are still many that fall into this dilemma. If I'd had the welding skills and facilities to repair the car myself, the outcome may well have been quite different.

Regards, John.