View Single Post
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 15:18   #8
niveketak
66 Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Remember that the nut is torqued up to 200-220 ft/lbs. Undoing or retorquing to this number isn't easy lying on the ground underneath. I would advise you not to try and do this with the car on jack stands under the axle. It would be all to easy to lever the car off them. Rear wheels on secure and stable ramps would be better. Obviously having the car on a proper garage lift is best and you can then get some length on the extension bar with a length of pipe. Lock down may mean that this job will have to wait. A good torque wrench that is adjustable to 220ft/lbs also need for the refit. Be wary of generic seals for this job. There are poor quality ones out there which aren't easy to fit without damage. A proper Volvo one is advised. Get it before you remove the old one.
Hi Derek. Although it is on stands I have two trolley jacks under the suspension as additional stability so am quite happy it won't go anywhere. i have some ramps but they are not high enough. May consider screwing some wood blocks under the stands if I can make them stable enough though.

The seal came from Brookhouse so not sure whether this would be a Volvo one or not. I will have one more go at undoing it when I am fresh to the job, failing that I will reattach the prop and leave it till this Coronavirus sods off.

I have a torque wrench which goes high enough. Thanks as always for the advice.
niveketak is offline   Reply With Quote