View Single Post
Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 12:47   #49
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Yes it does apply the brakes, you set the speed and the distance you want to maintain between you and any vehicle in front and if you approach a vehicle that is slower than you adaptive cruise slows the car down using engine or brakes as required to the same speed as the car in front to maintain that safe distance, the brakes are applied more using adaptive cruise than the driver would normally as we anticipate sooner than the cruise control radar and back off the throttle.
Or in stop start driving it applies the brakes rather than engine braking but the driver would do that anyway.
Its not a case of driving too fast or too close but quite the opposite and does away with the need to constantly adjusting the normal cruise control as you approach slower moving traffic and a great safety feature.
I do not mind having to change the rear pads more often as a small price to pay for this convenient driving aid.
Well in time they will refine it , that is what they have been doing with city safety for the last 10 + years , but in theory maybe they will make the transmission change down a gear or two to slow you first rather than braking .