Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2020, 15:27   #888
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
A similar approach has worked well for me Alan, i have various NOS bits and pieces for both cars in and around the house. I even have a NOS steering rack for the Rover (all boxed in the original packaging) under my bed! Only place it would fit!

They don't fail often but when they do, finding one is like finding a hens dentist and they are unique to the 827 so i don't mind losing a bit of house storage space for that reason.

I'm sure you'll find various bits for the RB that faill into the same category so you'll work out what's worth having and what you might like but won't necessarily need.
That is quite funny Dave: about the steering rack.

It is a really quiet Sunday afternoon, the lock-down means Bob and I can't go out again, so I've been looking through eBay ads for Volvo bits and pieces. I notice one can still buy brake pads for less than a tenner/set. I'm pretty sure those prices will be much higher in the future, so I'll see which ones I need.

I changed the RB back to 20W50 oil a few weeks ago - that is almost certainly what it contained when it left Gothenberg and what my MY 1980 owner's handbook recommends. I had noticed a very slight weep from the back of the engine (you may remember I'd fixed quite a large leak from the cam cover some weeks before). I've been monitoring it and I'm really pleased to report that the weep has completely disappeared.

I'm guessing the 10W30 synthetic that the PO gave me was just too modern for either the rear crank seal or the sump gasket, but 20W50 mineral is gloopy enough to be okay. I've heard that when owners change their older engines to synthetic oils, thinking they are making an improvement, it can lead to leaks which did not exist previously. This has been a really good result - and far more effective than invasive surgery to replace seals and gaskets (and risk other leaks as a result).

Stay safe,

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: