View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2020, 16:16   #23
dingov70
Master Member

Afternoon all , with regards to removing carrier bolts , it is good practice to fit the hex key ( preferably socket type ) and belt it into the bolt with a hammer . This shocks the bolts & hopefully breaks any corrosion bonding and drives the hex deep into the fitting . Lost count of the number I have attempted to remove after a weekend warrior only made use of the part of the hex hole . I also use the rocking method when undoing the bolt i.e.tighten the bolt ( odd though it sounds ) and then undo with a rocking motion . loosen & tighten slightly . This breaks the corrosion bond ( hopefully ) . I have resorted to a propane blowtorch to heat the carrier , again to break a corrosion bonding

Also it is becoming a better working practice to use a ceramic grease on slider pins / rear& edges of pads and wearing faces . I was in conversation with a braking component rep , who informed me they no longer recommend the use of copper grease . It appears that the coper particles may / can have an adverse effect on ABS system sensors . Many suppliers also provide sachets of molybdenum grease ( CV joint grease ) for the same reasons