Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old May 22nd, 2020, 14:21   #1069
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I think i would play it as you suggest Alan, after 600 miles, slacken each head bolt in turn by 1/4 turn then retorque to 81lb.ft

Then turn the engine over to TDC on #1 and slacken the tensioner locknut (i'm assuming your tensioner is spring loaded, i can't remember from the photos) to allow the tensioner to take up the slack on the timing belt then tighten again.
On my last 740 with the B230E, the HG had been done some time before i bought it and shortly after it started showing HGF symptoms. I checked the bolts (hex headed as yours are so not stretch variety) and many of them were barely even 15lb.ft, never mind 44lb.ft - think i found 2 that turned slightly to take them up to 44lb.ft so i was lucky and caught it just in time.
Then i turned my attention to the timing belt which was so loose it could have easily jumped multiple teeth in one go! Laid the car up a couple of days while i ordered a new timing belt then fitted it, remembering at 600 miles to retension it this time!

Pleased to hear the RB is now doing what it says on the tin once more! Have you driven it any distance yet?

*** EDIT *** The information i got about the back axle on mine having a 96 tooth reluctor ring was from a USA site and similarly authoritative. However it failed to mention the front wheels also had 96 tooth rings, implying that the fronts were 48 teeth instead. After a lot of research i discovered that fact and was able to find 2 940 hubs that were otherwise shot but had good ABS reluctor rings on (48 teeth each) so i refurbished them after removing the rings from the hubs and fitted the 48 tooth rings to the front hubs on mine - ABS problem solved but all the bum steers i had during that saga were down to duff or incomplete info from USA sites.

The moral of the tale is that some (possibly more than some) USA sites don't always give the full information. Further into the article it said you couldn't fit a later axle to a 1988 760 (or 740) because the ABS wouldn't work and the speedo would read wrong.
It can be done and i've done it, my ABS works as it should (after a lot more research) and the speedo reads correctly - or at least as correctly as it did before.

Also since tweaking the mixture and now sorting the ABS, the economy has returned to at least what it was doing before the start of it all which was fitting the replacement axle.
I agree Dave, 600 miles would be a good time to check everything over, I'll probably do the head bolts, check the valve clearances (the hushers should have bedded in) and the cam belt (yes, it is the spring loaded type) at the same time.

Although this has been a little bit of faff, I don't really mind too much - it has given me a chance to check over a few more areas of the car and make sure they are okay.

Whilst there is a huge amount of information out there on the internet, some of it is either incomplete or contradictory as you say. The 5 times use thing sounds plausible (I don't think Mr Volvo meant 5 times literally - just change the bolts of they have to be re-tightened a few times).

The lock-down is relaxed a bit now, so I'm going to take the RB out for a 10-20 mile shake down whilst Dan finished his school work.

Stay aware,

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: