Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old May 27th, 2020, 23:25   #1161
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Thank you John,

It looks like my very rough calculation of gear ratios was a long way out, no matter, 2700RPM at 70MPH waould be lovely.

The conversion to the AW71 box looks to have a few problems, this article is quite good (it is for a 260 but I suspect most the issues would be the same):

https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=332124

I see your point about a manual conversion John, but to make it worthwhile it would have to be to a 5 speeder, which I suspect would have similar problems to the AW71. I quite like an auto box (my other cars are both 6 speed manuals, so I like driving something different in the RB).

As I said to Dave above, I’m at a fork in the road with the RB project. I can either modernise it (4 speed auto, plus... where would I stop) or I tinker with it as I have done so far but keep the car more or less standard (maybe I spend some money on a respray to make it look nice instead?).

The good thing is the RB is running nicely with the new head, the ignition, fuel and cooling systems all sorted, so I don’t need to make any hasty decision because something has failed.

This isn’t really a cost issue - I’m happy to invest a couple of grand in the RB project.

Stay safe,

Alan
Crikey, i took ages typing my last reply! Good find on that Turbobricks thread, useful to know my suspicions about swapping the rear extension housing (tailcone as he calls it) to sort the speedo were correct.

That makes life easier in many respects. As for the selector lever and his mods, there might be a better way, i'll re-read it tomorrow and see what i come up with.

As for "Where do you stop"? Well that's easy - when you're happy that it does what you want it to. I haven't mentioned stuffing quadruple motorbike carbs on instead of the twin choke Weber but i daresay it's crossed your mind!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: