Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old May 28th, 2020, 11:52   #1168
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
By the way Corby Hose & Hydraulics didn't come up with better solution, so the plumbing fittings will be just fine). Again the original transmission cooling system seems to be working fine, so I'm not in a desperate rush to fix it.

I liked the Turbobricks article - and it was good news about the speedo drive. I'm thinking the main seal will need changing sometime anyway (changing to 20W50 has cured the weep it had, but these things rarely fix themselves completely in the longer term). The transmission will have to come off one day - maybe this year's winter break, maybe winter 2021/2. If I decide to go the AW70/71 way then that would be a sensible time to do it.

I agree completely that 3750RPM was completely acceptable 40 years ago because all autos did that - but it isn't any more.

Alan
Plumbing fittings? They're bona fide hydraulic fittings i found Alan, can also be used for pneumatics and gas.

I was going to suggest that when you changed the gearbox, for the extra 6 bolts, take the drive plate (automatics version of a flywheel) off the crank and renew the rear crank seal.

Back in 1980, most 2.0 manuals ran about 20mph/1000rpm so 70mph equated to 3500rpm so 3750rpm in an auto wouldn't have been out of the way at all. In fact most autos up to about 3.0 did as well.

I know of a few exceptions but once you got above 3.0, things changed dramatically, 25 and even 30mph/1000rpm were the norm. A 4.2 Jag for example would have been doing 112.5mph @ 3750rpm and an SD1 V8 would have been doing 93.5mph at the same engine speed.

It was seen as a luxury thing to have relaxed cruising, now it's seen as an economy thing so manufacturers followed that idea and many owners of classics ranging from the smallest to the biggest have retro-fitted 4-speed overdrive autos. It's very popular in the Stag fraternity i believe, using the ZF 4HP22 from the later Range Rovers and similar. Volvo also used the same box on the 740 so that might be an option instead of the AW70/71 but for preference, the AW70 or 71 would be better.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: