Thread: Hot Brake Disc
View Single Post
Old Jun 3rd, 2020, 18:54   #9
WrathOfKain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ommony View Post
As others have said, it's very difficult to tell from the sound where the problem is. I thought I had a bad wheel bearing at first. Also, in the early stages, it was intermittent and unpredictable. It would seem fine at times and then would stick and be bad for a bit. Possibly down to expansion/contraction of the parts when they got hot? That didn't last, though, and before too long the caliper was stuck on hard.

Assuming it is a sticky caliper, you might get away with just greasing the slider pins, but at least on mine it was corrosion on the piston itself (despite the dust boot being intact) and once you have the wheel off, slider pins off, it's not a lot of extra work to put in new seals/piston/etc and have a fully rebuilt caliper. Seal/piston kits are cheap and you can do the whole rebuild without disconnecting the brake lines or anything.

It's also worth mentioning, of course, that the garages you took it to could be spot on and it's not a problem with the caliper. As it's on the rear, it could be a sticking/poorly adjusted parking brake shoe. It could also be a bad wheel bearing generating the heat (although I think you would hear that pretty clearly if it was bad enough to really heat up the brake disc).

So yeah, while the sticky caliper is definitely the prime suspect, don't go into it blindly assuming that is the case.
The noise after the indy checking it had pretty much gone but still the heat was there. It did return on one of the runs i.e. the last one. ....... parking brake strangely enough is another problem as it takes a fair few clicks to get it to engage hence looking to get that adjuster put in.
WrathOfKain is offline   Reply With Quote