View Single Post
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 13:01   #27
ommony

A couple of years ago I bought a 2006 XC90 3.2 that was, at the time, one of the cheapest available in the country. Base model, very few options (less to go wrong) and with the understressed non-turbo petrol engine, which has a different (and less problematic) transmission than the turbo motors. Car had about 130k on the clock, no service history, nothing.

Two years later and I'm just about to tip over 200k, and during that time I have spent a fair bit on the car, but nothing surprising for a car of that age/mileage and pretty much all consumable parts that would be looking tried on any car by this point. So, for example:
4x new hub units/wheel bearings,
4x new brake discs
2x front lower control arms/wishbones + various other suspension bushes/drop links/etc
Drain/flush/refill all fluids (again, no service history, so preventative rather than absolutely necessary)
Few minor electrical gremlins
And that's about it, really.

In short, it's not going to be as cheap to run as some mid-90's econobox where parts and tyres and everything else are dirt cheap and there are very few electrical components to go wrong, but considering it's a big comfortable 7-seater with AWD and all the rest, it hasn't been bad at all.

I'm really happy with the car and it does exactly what I need it to, so I'm going to try and run it until 300k and see how things are looking then. Oh, and I forgot to mention, the 3.2 runs great on LPG and I can get the money equivalent of about 40mpg.
ommony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ommony For This Useful Post: