Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Jul 15th, 2020, 19:58   #1471
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
Sorry, I still don't get it. How does knowing the gap tell you what size shim you need to close up the gap to say 16 thou?
You need to be able to measure the thickness x of the present shim, and then order x + 16 - 18 = ?
or else be able to measure the total gap with no shim y and then order y -16 = ?.
Let me try explaining a different way with a bit more information then.

Remember when Alan did the head gasket, changed the head etc a few weeks back?

He checked/adjusted the valve clearances then and recorded the clearances and/or the shim size for each valve. That's the important bit for this, recording the shim sizes.

He now has a record of what shim size serves which valve so when he measures the clearances in z years time, he'll be able to perform the calculations without needing to remove the shims indivudually, measure and then calculate.

With that extra information, he just has to measure the gap, work out the difference between what it is and what it should be then check waht size shim is in there to work out which he needs to get.

Then once the shims are obtained, pop the old out and the new in, recheck the clearances to be sure and job done!

Hopefully makes more sense now?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: