Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Jul 15th, 2020, 20:23   #1475
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Let me try explaining a different way with a bit more information then.

Remember when Alan did the head gasket, changed the head etc a few weeks back?

He checked/adjusted the valve clearances then and recorded the clearances and/or the shim size for each valve. That's the important bit for this, recording the shim sizes.

He now has a record of what shim size serves which valve so when he measures the clearances in z years time, he'll be able to perform the calculations without needing to remove the shims indivudually, measure and then calculate.

With that extra information, he just has to measure the gap, work out the difference between what it is and what it should be then check waht size shim is in there to work out which he needs to get.

Then once the shims are obtained, pop the old out and the new in, recheck the clearances to be sure and job done!

Hopefully makes more sense now?
Exactly that Dave. You have explained the process much more succinctly than I suspect I did above ( I probably assumed everyone had read my previous passage some weeks ago about recording the shim sizes when I first set up the cam on the new head).

I see Clifford’s issue: when I set it up the first time I measured and catalogued all the shims I had (8 of them), fitted them to the new head pretty randomly and bolted down the cam (I did this on the bench), then measured the clearances and swapped the shims round to get a good fit. I needed 3 new shims to enable the maths to work.

You are dead right that once I’d calculated it all out and got a workable solution I recorded the actual shim sizes by valve number and I keep them on a spreadsheet for whenever I check the clearances again. I won’t have to remove each shim and measure again, I already have that information.

I’ve taken 3 paragraphs to explain what you did in one Dave :-)

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jul 15th, 2020 at 20:45.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: