View Single Post
Old Aug 2nd, 2020, 19:42   #13
duke1
mad mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
The hydraulic tensioner needs to be compressed much slower than that - a half turn of the vice/clamp every 5 mins. Should take 30 mins or so to fully compress - any quicker and you may damage it

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who does the belt & braces stuff - and that you've trumped me! I'm not doing my cam seals as they seem ok. I am doing the tensioner though due to its importance - even though I have never heard of one fail
hi i thought it best doing the front camshaft seals as there has been little servicing and the pcv has been allowed to clog with crud and is going to be next after cambelt and waterpump but as a result the oil seals have been stressed and theres visible seepage under the plastic backplate of the timing cover which judging by witness marks can only be from the seals,thankfully the new tool kit has the correct tool for removing the seals something ive never had so will be novel for me!
well today i only got a little done on the car but it was my nemesis you see my previous vehicle needed the boots replacing on the balljoints every bloody mot they rot like crazy on the old pug 406s and is horrid job as the damn driveshaft is far to easy to pop out and 1 sec of it popped emptied large volume of stinking gearoil all over the drive,the volvo is better behaved and retained both driveshaft and contents of gearbox,one side down!
and next time i have the energy i shall do the other.
then thats everything noted on the last mot dealt with and she is going in early for the next,before the post covid mot stampede!
peace all