Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 23:21   #1593
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Talking about mobiles, 'L.S.' and Alan's point about cheap, 'disposable' products caused me to reflect on just how far we have advanced (?) in 30 years.

I bought my first mobile when I went self-employed in 1991, justifying it as giving me an 'edge' when looking for work. The phone (and it was only a phone) was one of the first Motorola flip-phones which cost me £400 and came with two batteries, since one could not make it through the day. A fitted car-phone in my 244 would have cost c£2k.

There were just two networks; the airtime contract on both was the same - £25 per month - and calls cost 25p per minute (charged in half-minute increments after the first minute).

In contrast, my current Motorola smart phone, which I'm sure has features that I don't even know about, cost me just over £100. Today, my contract costs me under £9 per month and includes 500 minutes, 500 texts and 500 Meg of data, of which I normally use less than 10% of each. I've just bought a new battery for it off ebay for £8 as the original, now 3 years old, was starting to get a little tired.

Progress? You be the judge!

Regards, John.
Well John, it is certainly progress: cell phones are now affordable for absolutely everyone. I even have a second one (a ruggedised 'King Kong') that I mostly use for SATNAV in the RB and on motorcycles.

Unless one really must have the very latest then technology is very cheap indeed. Sure, that is progress.

Alan
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: