Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 12:10   #1786
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The main reason for the 2.9 option was for company car users who had a choice of car below 3.0 and also for tax reasons, big tax breaks under 3.0 litres in many countries. It was also seen by many as more economical - total fallacy because it didn't have the grunt to pull the weight of the car so struggled and drank a lot more as a result.

The Toyota straight 6 was indeed another superb engine, i'm a bit hazy but wasn't that the 5MGE engine?

I had the older Celica, first of the pop-up headlamp models that spawned the Celica Supra, the forerunner of the one you had.

Celica Supra 2.8i ^^^^^ spawned from :

Only a 2.0 in mine but still a nice engine.
I think the other reason for the 2.9 was to have a base model so the 3.6 appeared to be more special, and so could command a large premium - so just marketing. I always wondered whether it would have been better to have had a much more similar 3 litre DOHC car that didn't need a different production line. Anyway, we agree the 2.9l SOHC engine was a dog and the 3.6 DOHC (later on the 4l) was excellent.

Thank you for that Toyota lineage. I can't remember the engine designation, but it was also a thing of great beauty.

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: