Thread: V50 Electrics : - Aftermarket subwoofer remote power
View Single Post
Old Nov 16th, 2020, 14:01   #3
Xariez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Lincs View Post
Hello.

Most subs are negative switched which I think could be why you are getting strange results. Basically this means you ground the switch wire to turn the sub on.

I think what's happening is your switch wire is grounding through the bulbs, when the bulbs are on there is voltage which turns the sub off.

Some subs allow you to change the switching polarity to positive, worth a look to see if you have one with this feature.

You could fit a switch or a more elegant solution would be a small signal relay. This could be used to connect the sub switch wire to ground when power is applied to the relay from whatever circuit you choose eg the lights.

You only need a small relay, you don't want anything that draws significant current from the circuit it is connected to and you MUST fit a diode in series with the relay coil. If you don't do this part you risk damaging the circuit used to power the relay.
The switch currently has two cables running to it: One with constant power (from the plus cable of the sub, which in it's turn comes from the battery), and one "return line" for the AMP. I'd like to stay away from having to resort to signal relays but will be considered nonetheless.
Xariez is offline   Reply With Quote