View Single Post
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 17:31   #1
AlexGoodsell

Default 745 GL - Carb or injection?

Dear all

I have recently acquired a lovely 1991 745 GL from a friend of my granddads, who sadly passed away earlier this year. He essentially owned the car from new, took very good care of it, and it has the fattest service history file I have ever received with a car before. As a result, I am keen to continue taking good care of it, and learn a bit more about the car.

I understand that it had a webber carb conversion carried out in 1995 (which cost around £300 at the time according to a receipt I just found). I was just wondering if anyone could tell me why he might have done that, and whether the swap would have been in place of the original carb, or if it should have come with fuel injection from the factory.

The car runs very well, and seems to return ok mpg considering, though it is a fair bit slower than I was expecting if I'm honest (the small diesel vans I drive for work feel surprisingly peppy in comparison...is that normal)

Any opinions on whether to change it or not would be much appreciated. This car is actually a year older than I am, so I can't say I'm an expert when it comes to carburettors. I do have a bit of mechanical knowledge though, having completed a turbo conversion on a mk1 mx5

Best wishes
Alex
AlexGoodsell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlexGoodsell For This Useful Post: