View Single Post
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 10:20   #29
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I think maybe the problem lies in the above. Try this instead tomorrow :

1. Insert key
2. Turn key to position 2 (warning lights on dash inc glow plug w/light)
3. When glow plug light goes out, turn key to position 0 then back to 2
4. When glow plug light goes off, start cranking.

Leave the lights off, turn the blower off if you want, the important bit here is time for the glow plugs to heat up.

If that improves matters, next day omit #3 and see if it still starts quickly - quickly as in "first pot over the top".

I'm not convinced about Mannol fluids but we'll leave that for now, if you happen to have a spare 0.5L of ATF, add that to the engine oil if there's room. It won't be an instant improvement, takes some miles to have an effect but will make the hydraulic tappets quieter and more efficient, free off sticky piston rings, revive the various rubber oil seals etc in the engine.
Morning Dave, thanks for the advice but, I forgot to add, before I remembered to use neutral again, when starting, I would wait until the rear fuel pump stopped whirring, there was a time (less chilly) when doing that twice, it would start straight away, but once it got Colder, that failed to worked and was back to cranking til it starts or realease and try again, it would start on the 1st Crank then. So in effect, I was doing the glow plug warming.

I didn't drop in some lucas Additive a few months back when I thought it was the tappets, but that noise is deffo that injector I swapped out, no wonder it was in ebay, ah, that reminds me, I need to ring up about servicing my spare one, thanks lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post: