Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 06:03   #196
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
From that perspective Alan it sounds an excellent purchase. My last one was one of these :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0036YHBMM

I think using it while changing the back axle in mine was what killed it though.
I had one before and lent it to someone one to find their cig lighter was wired back to front. Result - one set of fried chips on the control board!

Rewired it as direct control but it halves its usefulness in that i have to use a torque wrench to do the fasteners up again. Unlike the pneumatic ones, it is a rotary hammer (sounds like yours is the same) so doesn't hammer the nut along the bolt but round it following the thread rather than against the side of the thread.
Hi Dave,
I did consider the type that attaches to a car battery - but then thought that (for me) the whole point was the ability to get to difficult to access nuts, and hence went for the battery powered type. The difference is cost was hardly anything.
The Chinese tool I bought does seem to be fairly well put together, but it will be interesting to see if it stands up to a bit of use. I'm thinking it might be really useful for the AW71 project. I suspect that in the longer term the issue might well be the longevity (or otherwise) of the battery. It is a 20v lithium ion item (good) and there is a charge meter (voltmeter I suspect) on the tool. I'll find a reason to give it a good test in the next few weeks and we'll see how well it lasts.
I think you are right about this not being an impact driver - which is generally a good thing for what I want it for. I have a pneumatic tool with an impact driver function, but on the whole it is too aggressive for car and bike work so I mostly use the manual type with a hefty hammer.
Alan