View Single Post
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 11:49   #20
bornmiddleaged
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V50 Craig View Post
Honestly I think most new cars are all a crock of overpriced ****. These high power 3 cylinder motors will never be reliable long term and will always be expensive to fix. Most people who get brand new cars just don't look after them as they know 3 years and they'll just change them for another new car. My friend had her brand new car for 3 years and it never even seen a car wash and she didn't know how to open the bonnet when it was sold. That's why you can get some real dogs that are only a few years old.

Quite honestly, find a good mileage mid 2000s car with good service history and will be so much better than most things 4 years old. My partners mum has a 2002 Corsa C with about 50,000 miles, over serviced and it runs like an absolute dream. It's never even had an advisory. Cars that are looked after are the key...try and get her to lose this mindset of newer is better!
Theoretically a good idea but how would the OP or his Mum find "a good example" unless one or both of them have significant mechanical knowledge, or have a friendly mechanic available to go and look, in addition to getting a cast iron guarantee that the history of the vehicle is genuine?
We can all chuck about examples of old cars with no issues and young cars with issues, but equally easy to find examples of the opposite and statistically speaking, an old car is far more likely to have issues.

Also, psychologically, that is going to be a very hard sell going from a 6-7 year old car to a 15 year old car!