View Single Post
Old Feb 13th, 2021, 17:25   #26
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
At an 'average expectation' of 18k miles per annum, it is a logical assumption for Volvo that at the 6th service the car will have done 108k miles. No doubt some owners do have this done for 'peace of mind' (a laughable phrase used by idiots IMHO) but they're wasting their money. The 'underpinning' in terms of time is 10 years.

You have the older 5-cylinder engine, not the the VEA engine which this thread originally related to... however there's a very similar issue with the VEA in that it now has a 90k mile cambelt interval and by the same logic it is seen to 'fall due' at the 5th service, even though timewise it's also good for 10 years.

EDIT - I took so long to construct my reply that I now see that Clan has covered most of what I said!
Regarding the 90,000 revised interval , it was something to do with the emergency services volvos , there were never any problems with normal road cars ...in fact i've changed a few at 144000 miles ... belt still as new .. they don't crack being the highest quality kevlar reinforced belt.