Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 10:53   #2426
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
If the BofH is right and access to the big ends (and therefore the rings) is easy via the sump then that only looks like a day's work to me, and would bring about some useful benefits without the full 9 yards of an engine-out rebuild.
Hmmm, I don’t think ‘easy’ is how I’d describe it- ‘possible’ perhaps, or ‘doable if you have no other options’.

This approach might be ok on a ramp, but certainly isn’t a recipe for fun on a driveway with the car up on stands. Perhaps I’m getting old, but as much as I’m keen to tinker with cars I’m also keen to enjoy it and where I can avoid lying on the floor with rust falling in my eyes, trying to do something with limited access then I’ll take the easier route, to keep it fun and avoid it feeling like an arduous task.

You may be over-thinking the engine out approach- it’s really very easy and quick, even single handed, with an engine hoist and a load leveller. Even with a break for coffee you should be able to get the engine out and on a stand in an hour or two, meaning the one day refresh of the rings etc should be doable within a long day- or two days, again to keep it fun.

That’s my take on it anyway.

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post: