View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2021, 21:06   #9
Lerichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
Lift each of the 4 wheels one at a time and grab it at 9 and 3 o'clock and "pull-push" with some force. See if there is any play. It may be wheel bearing or tie rods (on front wheels). Another test if you can lift the car, grab the inner left CV joint near the transmission and see if it wobbles inside the transmission. This would be a carrier bearing. Also may keep in mind that not all garages balance the wheels correctly, may try another place. A unballanced rear wheel will cause chassis vibrations, front ones steering vibrations. May be a combination of the two, of course. For the hub flanges, if there is any slight bent non visible to the eye - usually if someone hit with a hammer trying to remove the wheel bearing, the wheel lugs will loosen up while driving, so you will know it.
The usual 'rock the wheel at 9-3 and 12-6' bearing checks have been carried out already and yielded no suspect results.
I noticed today while out driving the car makes a metallic scuffing sound while going round tight-ish right hand corners. I recognised the noise as one I've heard previously but had dismissed as the tyre catching the arch liner or something. But now I'm thinking it's something more sinister, as noises presenting like that can be wheel bearing-related, so this will elicit some further investigation.
Lerichard is offline   Reply With Quote