View Single Post
Old Aug 10th, 2021, 13:28   #472
Tom Corbett

Hi All.
Just bought my 2014 XC60 SUV and here learning to navigate the forum, when I actually need to be getting on with something else(!!).
So far I'm reasonably pleased with the car which I bought to pull our caravan. Won't be using it much around town (everybody has two cars nowadays? (joke!)) for which we use my wife's Toyota Yaris.

Selling points for us. -
E6 emissions and £30 tax.
Heavier than other similar cars which helps with caravan stability.
Came with tow hook but not factory fitted and needing a supplementary tow skt (but not the car's fault of course)
Decent price and low mileage (again not to do with the car itself).
Decent established car dealer who can hopefully be relied upon to sort out problems.

But things I don't like and almost put me off the sale -
ALL the gimmicks!! I don't need them or want them. I'm used to electronic hand-break from my VW Passat, but I constantly ask the question -WHY? And as others here have said it is counter intuitive. Almost had a couple of accidents driving it home from the dealers!
Didn't come with a printed handbook because it is on the radio display.
No spare wheel but one of those silly foam tyre repair kits. What happens when I rip a tyre, as I once did, hitting a roadside rock?
Instrument display -- just give me proper mechanical dials please! I know I can change the display but I haven't figured that out yet -- see manual on the radio as stated above. Irritating.
No jack. The guy selling me the car said not needed because of foam tyre repair -- Bull ****ting me? I will be going back if not true, so something to find out somewhere here.
Internal noise -- clonks about like a delivery van (ok, noise is a bit of a subjective response). Haven't been able to isolate it yet but it is not the tail gate or anything moving about in the rear. Garage says not from chassis but I'm not sure. Will keep on looking. Appears to be a problem with Volvos from what I have read on line. But it is quite a bit worse than my previous much older 2007 VW Passat

But in general we are pleased with the XC60. The things I don't like are pretty much universal with other manufacturers anyway. Will report back here when we have taken the caravan on holiday.

Last edited by Tom Corbett; Aug 10th, 2021 at 13:38.
Tom Corbett is offline   Reply With Quote