View Single Post
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 23:47   #48
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmiont View Post
Well the oil extractor failed to arrive despite it reaching the local DO two miles away by lunchtime and being scheduled for delivery... then cancelled a couple of hours later. Annoying thing is I was actually near the DO so theoretically could have picked it up although not sure it would have been possible if it was waiting for a van. Didn't happen anyhow.

I've put the undertray on for piece of mind though. I can see why they get discarded; it wasn't the best of experiences but will probably seem better next time. Note for the future: fit the centre screw first! I got the other six in then found it was somehow slightly misaligned and the centre one would not go into position.

I also found the threads very stiff to begin with - having been exposed to the elements for who knows how long in the absence of the undertray, they'd acquired some grime and a little rust in some cases. Got the worst off and they were OK once they got moving.

Pre-holiday status then:

- No oil change I suppose in the scheme of things doing what will be about 10-12k on the same oil isn't too bad and still better than many cars see, but not what I'm really comfortable with for long-term health based on the colour change observed over the past couple of thousand miles.
- Tank filled, but with E10. I can't really be choosey in the present circumstances and am optimistic we'll find some premium grade once further north. As tomorrow's mostly a motorway day I'll just be happy I've got something to run on, I know that's more than some unfortunate people this week.
- Undertray fitted for the first time in who knows how long. Sump and belts protected on what looks like it could be a very wet day.

The sump plug saga may resume later in the month. A neighbour has offered to lend me a blow torch. I don't know that I trust myself to try that!

Photos of the plug as it is today

(notice how the sump bulges out directly above the plug - there is limited clearance for vice grips or a pipe wrench without scraping it, which I don't want to do)

The head was rounded the first time I got under the car, now it's really rounded and gnarled by vice grips and twist sockets.

Undertray fitted

options for When you get that out
http://www.stahlbus.com/products/en/oil-drain-valve/
http://www.sumpplug.co.uk/
https://www.ezoilchangevalve.com/volvo.html

still going to Possibly need to remove the under tray to use those
may not be to your liking
Does avoid the whole "sump plug" issue much like the vac extractors
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post: