View Single Post
Old Dec 25th, 2021, 12:32   #56
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Maybe Dave, everything has a price, but with this one it is such an oddball it is hard to know what that might be.

The seller seems to be reducing the asking price by about £200 each fortnight, which is an odd sales strategy. It has been on sale for nearly a year now, so surely he/she much have realised it has been pitched at the wrong level by now.

Alan

PS. If the motor car didn't have the V8 engine it might be worth £600 - which would rise to about £1,200 when it soon becomes an historic vehicle. Does the V8 engine add to or detract from its value - that is the difficult question to answer.
Only another 7 months to wipe that £2700 off then!

Given it's a P6 Rover engine it's older than the car itself and is also running a Holley carb, it's more likely to detract IMHO. If it was an SD1 engine with the better design valves and ports (making it more efficient) and shorter-nose water pump it would be more attractive, maybe even increase the value slightly but despite my affinity for the Rover V8 (and V8s in general) i'm sorry to say i see this as most of the buying public will, just an old Volvo that's been converted dubiously with little or no history or provenance to back up the conversion and as such is worth what a basket case 244 from a similar era will be worth. Finding and fitting a correct B21A or whatever it left the factory with would bring the value up to a more realistic level for a Historic vehicle but with the V8 in it, as Luke i believe pointed out earlier in the thread, it's substantially modified from the original spec so won't qualify for Historic status.
That means the value won't go up in line with any premiums from Historic status unless it has an original type (or very close to) engine fitted.

Some cars would benefit from having a Rover V8 under the bonnet such as a Grinnall TR7, a bona fide Rover V8 conversion (to mimic the genuine TR8) that (if memory serves) used a new SD1 V8 engine fitted as an aftermarket option with suspension, diff and brake upgrades and hence retains historic status because it was a "proper" conversion.

Neither Volvo nor any aftermarket conversions used the Rover V8 so that argument can't be used.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: