View Single Post
Old Jan 9th, 2022, 23:07   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

[QUOTE=WinningWithFord;2798742]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The parking brake design works fine when its repaired with volvo genuine parts and bedded in ... I have done 100's over the last 20 years .

When you run out of cable adjustment the car is telling you that either the shoes are worn out for some reason or the cables are stretched for some reason broken/rusty strands is usual .

Another point regarding the P position , Firstly the P position does not lock the wheels only the gearbox crown wheel , both wheels are still free to rotate in opposite directions , so on a steep hill with one wheel on wet leaves or ice which may form in the night the car can run away with one wheel rotating backwards on the leaves or ice , I have seen it
all before . , you are relying on just ONE tyre contact patch* to hold the car not two as per the Parking brake .

* = the tyre with the greatest grip on the road[/QUOTE

You've done 100s of these over the last 20 years. It's a problem not seen with American and Japanese made products. I'm going thru this on my wife's 09 XC90, and whomever designed this system should not be in the automobile business. I've never had a problem with parking brakes in my life - until this machine.
The prototype had a normal hand brake but the Americans where most were sold demanded that foot alternative ...