Thread: S40 (New) Electrics : - Replacing the battery
View Single Post
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 18:26   #6
froggyted
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
tell me about it, tho even in those days the "its a 5min job" did turn into half a day ones...

yes i think (could be wrong) that the pos I setting could have something to do with any spikes/ecu/airbag stuff, i guess the days of "OFF" really being "OFF" ended with all the ecu's being spread all over the cars

has to be said tho,, points+condensers with rotor arms and dizzy caps was not as fuel efficient or fuss free *until they go wrong then you need Another computer to tell them they have been fixed,,,
I can report back that everything has been put back together with no fault messages on the DIM , deploying airbags, inoperative remote fobs or anything of the like. There was a hairy moment when i first started the engine and it failed to shut off even when i turned the key to 0, but this resolved after 10-15 seconds and then behaved correctly on subsequent starts. Strangely enough though, the infotainment clock needed resetting and yet the radio kept all its station memory stores.

Power was disconnected approximately one hour while i faffed about! The biggest problem i had was unclipping and reclipping the front of the battery tray - fingers weren't quite long enough and there was part of a wiring harness in the way. I used a knife-sharpening tool from the kitchen in the end! A good idea is to tie the negative lead to the battery away from the area you're working on with cable ties so it doesn't get in the way when removing and replacing the battery - i used the pneumatic bonnet strut to fasten two joined cables around.

I have to admit that, for all their complexity, and expense when they go wrong, i much prefer the electrics in modern cars. For one thing i like my gadgets, and also the ECUs allow for much more sophisticated safety features such as the DST, as well as useful touches such as adapting the engine characteristics to your driving style (something i learned from the Haynes manual whilst doing this job!). It struck me a few weeks ago that i take a lot of the features on this car for granted in comparison with the old Ford Capris i used to have. The heating controls, for example, are just class, like the controls on a hi-fi component, compared with the manual levers that used to need almost brute force to move as the grease on the mechanism got increasingly caked with dirt. I used to do a basic service on my old Capris and lost count of the times i used to readjust the gaps in the plugs, contact breaker and camshaft clearances. I don't think i'd ever want to go back to that. Nowadays i prefer to just enjoy the ride.

Thanks again for your help.