Thread: S40 (New) Electrics : - Replacing the battery
View Single Post
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 13:07   #9
froggyted
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
same here, ending up with thumb muscles like arnie's from adjusting the "heater" sliders is something i dont miss, or the need to adjust/clean the points in the piddling rain when its fffff-freezing either.

Tr7 soft top with a heater that when you Did move the red/blue slider would melt your legs with the roof closed, or not if the cable snapped does not compare to a auto climate A/C system.
36k between the skinned knuckles from changing plugs is nice, and getting Miles per gallon not gallons per mile is Really nice (2.8 + 3.0 capri's )

the one suggestion i would make is to find yourself a copy of vida ,,and a dice unit ,
the haynes "book of lies" just isnt anywhere near as comprehensive or correct as the info in vida ,

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=253190

note i have a shelf of Old haynes "book of lies" for most of my previous cars, vida wins hands down for volvo's (up to 2014that is)
I always aspired to a 2.8 Capri but never had one. That was the only decent model they made i think, the 1.6 was just a sheep in wolf's clothing.

Oh yes, the skinned knuckles, you've rekindled an ancient memory! Also, i remember the car running very rough one dark night on a busy road and the first thing i suspected was the contact breaker. Sure enough, a small piece of crap had somehow got wedged between the points.

I can't warrant a VIDA system. I have nowhere off-road to work on the car so only do easy jobs and anything else goes to a Volvo indie that has the VIDA. (I still have a basic oil and filter change at a main dealer, which comes with their excellent comprehensive annual breakdown and recovery service). I will be changing the car in the next year or two anyway, although hope to go for another Volvo (like the look of the XC40 but won't be able to afford that so will probably go for a V40). The engine in the current car needs about three oil/filter changes a year now because fuel is getting past one or more faulty injectors, triggering the 'engine system service required' flag, and i'm not prepared to pay the £1.5k for new injectors, because what goes wrong after that, the auto gearbox or something else expensive? I would hope to get a model with a real Volvo engine next time around, and would never have a diesel again (have also had two instances of limp mode due to DPF sensor fault, which isn't fun).

In defence of Haynes, whilst they are not perfect (mainly due to model enhancements), just one job you do yourself usually pays for the price of the manual. I've used them for my second Capri and all four Volvos so each one paid for itself many times over. I had a different branded manual for my first Capri (1.3 mark 1, it was my first car after passing my test). I can't remember the brand name, i'm sure it's long defunct now, but i do remember that it did a better job of explaining things than the Haynes manuals do.

Last edited by froggyted; Jan 28th, 2022 at 13:21.
froggyted is offline   Reply With Quote