View Single Post
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 04:49   #14
IainG
Premier Member

Hi Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate66 View Post
It’s turning over then after a few tries it just dies and there is nothing at all

From previous comments and your last description.
As it is a new battery already.
You say it is better with a jump start.
Thoughts
the new battery is not receiving a good charge from the alternator so is now only partially charged
Test the alternator/ battery voltages with engine stopped and then with it running.
Test the voltage on the starter motor whilst trying to start. This will help identify a wiring issue.
Measure the volt drop between the battery and starter whilst trying to start. That can highlight a wiring issue.
Needs more fault finding as an alternator is about £150 and a starter is about £100 (+ fitting)
There can also be fuel issues. If I park my car "nose up" overnight it always takes longer to start in the morning so out of habit I park on the level or "nose down" if I have the option.(there is no standard fuel lift pump on these so any minor air leaks between the fuel tank and engine will let the fuel run back and it can then be a problem to start.)
I.e. If there is a fuel issue, it could take longer to start therefore flattening the battery.
Think you need to test the battery voltage with the car stopped and also with it running to see if the battery is charging and holding charge properly first.
Test the battery voltage before trying to start. Test whilst starting and then test whilst running. Those readings posted here might possibly give some pointers. Or a competent auto electrician would be able to test.

Iain

Last edited by IainG; Mar 4th, 2022 at 04:52.
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post: