View Single Post
Old Mar 31st, 2022, 10:51   #9
Juular

I may as well start at the front and work my way back, its as good a strategy as any.

The engine had been left with the spark plug out of the #4 cylinder with predictable effects. I took the head off and filled #4 with ATF around 6 months ago. When I collected the car I'd hope the ATF would have drained down a bit but no joy whatsoever, which isn't a good sign.

I filled the bores with diesel again.

48 hours later

So that's going to require more than a bit of lube to put right. Good thing I have a spare engine. So the plan is to completely forget about this minor issue for now..

Next job is to start pulling panels off and stripping down the engine bay. The wiring is pretty rubbish, and all of the hydraulic lines are rotten through, so everything is coming out.

Next job is to go pick up the engine crane, and then lift the engine and box out.

Until then, a walk round to see what's going on.

I love the patina on this car, I actually really want to keep it like this.

There's plenty of holes, thankfully quite localised.

This is the worst bit of the car, the NS chassis rail. I'll make a new one.

The outer sills aren't too bad. The inners are a horror show, and have been patched up with bathroom sealant.

Boot floor is theoretical.

Here's the best bit though! A bit of plywood, bathroom sealant, and wood screws that screw into fresh air.

All in, it's not horrendous. The best part is there's no bodywork to do, as the exterior panels are all very sound.

So the next job will be getting that engine and box out, and then attacking the engine bay to get it back to metal.
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post: