View Single Post
Old Apr 14th, 2022, 08:04   #7
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
Why not just get a Ford or Peugeot with the same engine, and pocket the change? You'll get the same ownership experience in terms of having your spanners out a lot.

A slight fault with your mathematics - you need to subtract the cost of actually buying the car from your £4000 saving, and probably another grand at least for inevitable injector, DMF and possibly turbo problems. The most economical is, overall, not likely to be the most economical to own.

Top marks for not using a car for frivolous short journeys. I'm of much the same mind - a 22 mile round trip to town tomorrow will have me riding my bike. I manage it and im nearly 64, so I do chuckle at some of the excuses folk trot out to justify driving a car 2 miles.
It is absolute madness isn’t it! I walk my kids to school and the other families start their car at the same time I leave and arrive the same time I get back, I can’t believe it!

To be honest I have had a 1.6tdci focus which I racked up over 100,000 miles in without incident and it did over 60MPG. I see the C30 as a lot of fun although as the previous poster points out the D3 is the 5 cylinder Volvo version.

Having owned a Mk1, 2 and 3 focus I fancy a bit of a change (incidentally all focuses ran to over 100k - one 145k and I never had a break down).

I tend to service my cars very well and find they never break down and never fail MOTs so unlike many I tend not to worry too much about issues.

That said I would steer clear of the east 1.6 diese with the 16V engine.

Well done on the cycling! I have friends approaching your age, generally those that keep active so really well and maintain massive fitness!
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote