View Single Post
Old May 8th, 2022, 15:09   #1
Joshua129

Default 2009 V70 D4 Timing belt help please?

Hello,

New to the forum, and relatively new to Volvos. I own a 2009 Volvo V70 2.0L diesel (D4204T) which I am currently attempting to replace the timing belt. I have done my research before attempting the work, and have searched the forum regarding the issue I have encountered, but with such a variety of models and engines, it is hard to find answers that are specific to my car.

Before I continue, I am changing the timing belt as I have no history of it being changed previously, there is no issue with the timing or with the engine.

I have purchased an engine locking kit specific for my engine, as I did not fancy jamming a screwdriver into the flywheel. There are three main tools with the kit, flywheel timing pin, flywheel locking tool, and camshaft locking pin. I understand that the camshaft locking pin should be installed through the hole in the camshaft pulley when it is rotated to approximately 4 o'clock. I rotated the crankshaft until the camshaft pulley was at the correct orientation. However, I cannot install the flywheel timing pin. I rotated the crank again, but of course the crank rotates twice for one rotation of the cam, so that was not the issue. I could understand if it was the other way around, i.e. flywheel pin in place and camshaft pin not fitting, as the crank would just need one full rotation to align the two timing holes (if that makes sense).

I have looked online and I did see something about the flywheel could have been installed incorrectly, so the timing hole in the flywheel is at the wrong orientation. Poor design from Volvo if you ask me if it is that easy to do, but it could be possible I suppose. It may have been removed and incorrectly installed previously, not that it would affect the running of the engine.

Otherwise, the crankshaft and camshaft are both locked up and I am ready to tackle the crank pulley bolt. Do I need the timing pin in the flywheel? As long as I add timing marks before removing the belt then I can't see a reason why I would need it?

Thanks in advance.

Josh
Joshua129 is offline   Reply With Quote