View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2022, 08:49   #10
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

The derv is an excellent choice. I love mine, just shy of 300k and it’s brilliant-my favourite of the three in my driveway.

They are a rare bird now as has been noted, but worth holding out for a good one. They reward meticulous maintenance (oil and filter every 3000 miles or so, cambelt MUST be done every 50k as the top end is toast if they go, injector rebuilds every 60k or so, brake vacuum pump is cam driven and they have a habit of getting noisy-I replaced mine with a new pattern unit and the issue went away but they can require a pushrod replacement to fully cure the clacking) but if properly looked after they seem to be unstoppable.

I race go-karts nationally and do a lot of long journeys in mine, heavily laden with karts, tools and engines, usually towing a twin axle “tow a van” style trailer. Even with all of that behind/inside/on top of it, it still turns in decent mpg figures. Empty I can get over 40mpg on a run, filled to the brim and towing never less than 30. Best fully loaded run was from Dorset to Whilton Mill near Daventry, easy 38mpg!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post: