View Single Post
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 11:23   #3
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
Looking at the history of automatic transmission fluids for Aisin Warner gearboxes, it looks like the first standard encountered on Volvo cars was JWS 3309. As Aisin Warner introduced transmissions with increased numbers of gears they needed to reduce the viscosity of the fluid used and introduced JWS 3324. Both these fluids conformed to their overall transmission fluid spec AW-1 but when they put in the lower viscous oil they started to refer to it by the AW-1 overall spec nomenclature. So in answer to your question, JWS 33324 is an AW-1 spec oil but is for use in cars with more than 5 gears. Older boxes with less gears use JWS 3309 which, while it is an AW-1 oil, is not referred to as such to avoid the possibility of wrongly using the thinner oil in the earlier boxes.
My understanding is that the TF80-SC which was the first 6 speed auto was initially released with 3309. This has caused quite considerable confusion for owners of change over models (2010-2011 predominantly). The box was changed in 2010/2011 with the previous specified 3309 referred to as ‘gen 1’ and the later models referred to as Gen 2.

The Gen 2 models were sealed for life and came with AW1 which has a lower viscosity and hence was determined sealed for life (under degradation the viscosity remains within 3309 parameters).

In conclusion (and it’s a bit of a minefield) I would stick with AW1 as it’s an Aisin Warner box and AW specify AW1.

I use Volvo fluid myself. I wont lie, it is quite expensive. I do this because the alternatives I saw had a disclaimer to say something along the lines of ‘formulated to meet AW1 spec but not approved to AW1.

As it’s another £100 to use Volvo I stayed with them (I am about to do the second change now so that’s £200 additional cost in 200,000 miles (as next change will be 200k for me.

In reality if you go with a sound and approved supplier such as smith and Allen, westway lubricants or Granville I would be pretty sure of no issues.

I will stick to AW1 myself from Volvo and pay the extra but each to their own.

Just to add owners of 2010-2012 should check with Volvo what fluid was initially put in there and replace with that. It appears that 3309/3324 are both suitable fluids for earlier boxes - based on my research and I am not a mechanic and don’t KNOW for a fact but that 3309 and 3324 can not be moxed. So it’s important given that you won’t get all the fluid out.

Last edited by XC90Mk1; Jun 16th, 2022 at 11:25.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post: