View Single Post
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 16:07   #1
VolvoRob38

Default Rear break disks wearing unevenly

Hi all,

Here again on a new fault finding quest lol

Can anyone tell me why my rear break disks are wearing unevenly (will attach pics).

I took it for the MOT last month and the lad said I just need to tighten my handbreak and take it for a good run (because I dont use it often working from home, today is the first time in 3 weeks its moved. Had to jump start it!)

So I took it for a run 3 weeks ago and kept tweaking the hand break until the noise stopped or lessened considerably anyway. I thought nice, easy job, I'll perfect it next time I go out.

Went out today for the first time since and the metal rubbing noise was back. So went for a drive to charge up my battery and tighten the handbreak some more. The rubbing noise kept reducing, until I hit the break a few times, then it was back. I tightened it to the point I could smell the handbreak burning... Oh ****, over done it!
So slackened it off 3/4 a turn, but the noise wasnt getting any better. Tried loosening the handbreak several turns back to where it was originally and the rubbing noise got considerably less. "Did he say tighten the handbreak or loosen it" lol.

Anyway, even though it seems to be rubbing less, there is still a metal rubbing noise which sounds awful when driving next to parked cars, or anywhere the sound can bounce back at me through my open window, so need to sort it.

As its both rear disks Im wondering if I need a new hand break?

I did change the pads and disks a while ago but had no issues soon after doing that. I did cross thread one of the caliper arm/bracket things, but got my guy at the garage to re-tap it and it was OK. I did wonder if the thread may have given way or something and thats whats causing it to rub, making the caliper not sit straight. But he said that wont be it and the re-tapping would be sound, plus nothing looks like its not sitting right, and its on both sides. So was thinking handbrake.

Any ideas from you awesome lot would be much appreciated.

TIA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220801_142359_600x600.jpg (310.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20220801_142353_600x600.jpg (260.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20220801_142336_600x600.jpg (295.1 KB, 19 views)