View Single Post
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 17:46   #10
key76

I am convinced that car glass is of much poorer quality than it used to be.

Before the S90, I had a string of Mercedes E Class cars in a row (3 in fact). First one did 70k and suffered numerous stones being flicked at screen - not a single mark in when I got rid, second similar, but a few wiper scratches on screen when I got rid, 3rd had significant wiper scratching after only 5k and almost every stone that hit it left a small mark (thankfully no cracks).

The S90 got a big chip from first stone that hit it, and is showing wiper scratches after 10k. I also have an OCD habit of walking round car at night after parking up and running my fingernail up the final 1inch of each side window to check they are fully closed. After only a couple of months of doing this you can see small scratches from my fingernails - never had this on any car before and had the same habit for years and years.

I'm sure the glass would pass safety tests, but it's clearly thinner, less robust and undoubtedly of lower quality than glass used to be.